Saturday, August 15, 2009

New York City: Days 1 & 2

Rob and I just got back from our trip to NYC for our 10th anniversary. It's not actually until the 27th but with school starting and all, we had to get it in before it never happened! We flew out Monday morning and got into JFK around 3:00. We took the subway from the airport to our hotel...and got out of the subway to find Trump International Hotel and Tower greeting us to NYC...
For dinner we found a "hole in the wall" pizza place that was so good, we both ended up ordering another piece! YUM! Then we walked around Central Park for awhile until it got dark...
(The Sheep Meadow in Central Park...it is an area reserved for quiet enjoyment)
Rob by a fountain by the Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis Reservoir

A view of the city skyline from Central Park
This was the view from our hotel...Day Two started with a bagel and cream cheese from a street vendor (pretty much how every day started!) Then we hit the streets of New York, first stopping by the Late Show with David Letterman....
We didn't get to see a taping since they weren't taping that week. We kept on walking to Radio City Music Hall...
(This was taken the night before we left on our way to Times Square)
then the Rockefeller Center (we didn't make it early enough to see the Today Show outside, but did peek into the window of one of the buildings and saw Kathy Lee Gifford doing her show)...
then to the New York Public Library...
then the Empire State Building...
(I love this picture from the Empire State Building showing Central Park among all the skyscrapers)

Next it was off to Grand Central Station (where it's grand and it's central...movie, Marcy??) to take the subway up to the Metropolitan Museum of Art...
The night ended with an awesome Yankees game...
In the seventh inning, the Yankees were down by one and I turned to Rob and said, "The Yankees better win, and I better see a homerun." Have no fear, Hideki Matsui and Jorge Posada are here! Bottom of the 8th, they hit back to back homeruns! Melky Cabrera and Johnny Damon added RBI singles to extend the lead to 7-4. Then they brought out Mariano Rivera in the 9th to finish off the Blue Jays ...okay so they hit a homerun off him first thing, but then he finished them off :). Yeah, it was awesome! They ended up winning 7-5.

The wait for the subway ride back to the hotel was miserably hot, sweaty and crowded...but hey, what better way to experience NYC, right?

5 comments:

Cheryl said...

Excellent photos, looks like so much fun.

Fonzareli said...

looks like sooo much fun! I found myself smiling. I am so glad you were able to get away and to NYC even!!! FUN STUFF! Can't wait to read/hear more about it.

B Flat Major said...

I wish I could have NYC food. It sounds tasty!

The Lindsay's said...

What a fun trip! Maybe I'll get out of the state for my 20th. I didn't know you liked baseball. Happy 10th!

Mary Anne said...

FUN!!! Dusty was like "They went to New York and didn't even tell me?" I think his feelings are hurt :) He loved telling me what every picture was, even though you said it too. We're now discussing possibilities for our 10th anniversary.

Glad you had fun! You sure lived it up!