Monday, May 7, 2012

Spring Break in San Diego: Day Four

Here is where I wish I could rewind time.  Remember Day One?  I thought a weekend would be a crazy day to go to the zoo.  And maybe it was.  But at least it was overcast on Saturday.  Tuesday was insanely crowded.  And hot.  And did I mention my kids got a bit pink at Sea World the day before?  (Yes, they were lathered up today)  And were tired from all the walking we did?  All of that made for a not so fun zoo experience.  It probably made my attitude about the zoo a bit swayed, but really, a zoo is a zoo.  Most of the things we saw are at the Hogle Zoo just over an hour away with the exception of the Giant Pandas.  Only, we didn't see the Giant Pandas because by the time we got to them, the kids were extremely whiny and wanted to go back to the hotel to swim at the pool and there was an hour wait in line.  Sigh.

We did see some cool animals, although just thinking of that day makes me exhausted. So here's a bit of what we saw...


 We all laughed when we saw this meerkat.  It totally reminded us of our cat that likes to lay like this.




Trevor has a book of animals that has this bird in it.  When he saw it, he immediately said "It's a secretary bird!"  Pretty sure no other 4 year old (or anyone for that matter) would have known that!







On the Skyride before leaving for the day.


We went back to the hotel and then Rob took the older kids to beach for one last time.  I could feel a migraine coming on so Olivia and I stayed at the hotel for a nap.

Karate kids...

Last sunset in San Diego...


We packed up early the next morning and headed for home.  It was a looong drive and I was already missing San Diego when we passed Rob's sister on the highway as they were heading in the opposite direction.  I was almost convinced we should turn around and follow them back to that beautiful place!

2 comments:

kirsten said...

coming back from SD is always hard!

funny, we've been there 3 times and have never done the zoo. for that exact reason you said 'a zoo is a zoo'. i mean, not really, but to the kids i'll bet it would feel like that and we go the the hogle zoo all the time. except more walking at the SD zoo. maybe someday, but we'd rather be at the beach!

Christie said...

Yes, you should have turned around and come back with us.. and we should have planned better and made it when you guys were there! Love that place. And I join you in the mother of the year club-- last time we were at sea world, all I had was one little sunscreen stick-- what was I thinking?