Thursday, December 4, 2008

Civic Literacy

I was watching Leno tonight, and they had Battle of the Jaywalk All Stars. There were several pretty funny answers by the contestants, including that Alaska is an island, the reason why there are 100 people in the Senate is to stimulate healthy debate, and Patrick Dempsey is famous for the phrase "Give me liberty or give me death."

A girl from Utah won. One of the questions she missed, however, was who was president of the U.S. during World War I. Leno gave her a hint, that his initials were W.W. She said "Wilford Woodruff." Leno just responded, "I don't know who that is." Oops, wrong president.

Coincidentally, I found an article today about general lack of knowledge about how our country works and its history. Don't read the article until after you take the quiz he refers to in the article, since he gives a couple of the answers in the article. So, first, take the quiz, then read the article, and finally leave a comment with your score. The average score is below 50%. I got an 88%, but I think I got one or two more right because of reading the article first.

13 comments:

The Wheelers said...

i watched jay leno too and laughed so hard. i didn't know the girl was from utah. after she said wilford woodruff i was like...yeah, then what leno said i started laughing because i realized who she was actually talking about. anyway, funny! i wanted to take the quiz, but where is it? i might be having a blond moment, but i couldn't see it.

Dave said...

I scored 20/33 for 60.61%, so at least I am ahead of the college educators' average. Still, not great though. Maybe I need to watch our Schoolhouse Rock DVD a little more.

B Flat Major said...

78%. Nice to know I'm not completely ignorant. :-)

The Wheelers said...

well considering i couldn't even find it in the first place i'm not going to tell what i scored! i'll just say i was average.

onnuh said...

88% too. (Probably should have been higher for a poli sci graduate.) Felt like I was right back in finals week.

Krissy said...

I got 78%, which makes me happy that I beat Dave.

The Lindsay's said...

Craig and I watched Leno too. We were laughing so hard. I got a 72%. At least I didn't completely fail. I was worried about that.

robmba said...

The current blog design that Kirsten so lovingly chose doesn't highlight links, I guess. I just went back in and bolded the two links so they're easier to see. When you mouse over the link, the underline appears.

Maybe someone needs to go tell the people at cutestblogontheblock that they need to make links a different color in their style sheet.

Kirsten said...

hahaha, Rob! Actually, the text colors are the same from the last design. I just changed the background. I'll have to take the quiz and see if I can beat smarty pants Rob...I kinda doubt it though.

Amy said...

I got a horrendous 61% and just like when I play Trivial Pursuit with Jeff I didn't go with my instincts on the ones I got wrong and tried to be all "philosophical" about the questions and answers and scored a lot worse!

Mary Anne said...

I got 69.70 % I seriously thought I was doing so good because of my American Heritage class, but any question that wasn't something I learned there I got wrong! That's pretty sad. But better than average!

Tiffany said...

Hey kirsten!! Yes, I DO remember you and I'm so glad you stopped by and left a comment on my blog!!! I'm gonna add you to my list so I can stop in every once in a while, if you don't mind:) I love your blog-your family is beautiful!!

Tony said...

I got a 73%, 24 of 33. Not to bad for someone who has been out of school for a long time.