Wednesday, January 21, 2009

It's Not A Tumah!


I've been having headaches everyday since a week ago Sunday. They start in the morning and gradually get worse and worse and WORSE and finally I give in and take Tylenol. If I'm lucky (ie girls are at school, Trevor is down for a nap, Landon is at a friend's house or watching a movie) I can lay down for a short nap to help it go away. Usually about 2 hours later it starts to go away and then it is gone the rest of the day. Then another morning comes and with it, another headache.

The Sunday before Christmas is when it started. The pain was in the area of my left brow bone. It kinda felt like a sinus headache, but the meds to relieve sinus headaches/pressure was doing nothing for me. Finally on Christmas Eve, I decided I wanted to enjoy Christmas so I went to Instacare. The doc thought it was a sinus infection and hooked me up with some Amoxicillin and it seemed to take care of the problem.

Fast forward 3 weeks from when the first headache hit. Again, it's a Sunday and the pain is the same. Then after a couple of days of left brow pain, it decided to migrate to my right side. I finally had enough after 10 days of this crap and went to see a doctor yesterday. After going over a general health history (this was a new family practice doctor for me since I only go to the doctor when I'm pregnant), he did some basic neurological testing and gave me the good news that the headaches were not caused by a brain tumor. Phew! I really didn't think that was the cause, but I guess it's always in the back of your mind.

So there you have it...it's not a tumor. I had a CT scan of my sinuses today to see if there is some infection in there. I don't have any symptoms for a sinus infection, other than the pain. If it's not my sinuses, the doc thinks it might be a type of a migraine and he prescribed some migraine meds for me. The good news is today I haven't gotten a full blown headache. My right brow bone hurts when I tap it, but I can still function.

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

I'm glad you don't have a tumma. I've had a couple migraines in my life and they are not fun. Hope you get rid of the headaches.

Allyson said...

Yikes! I remember you mentioning it at Christmas, but didn't realize it's been going on so long. I hurt my shoulder last week and have been pretty much in constant pain. Friends have been taking Brock for me all day since that's the hardest thing to do with only one arm. I'll post about it. Things are getting better. Amy is coming up to help me out tonight through Saturday.

Seth said...

Kirsten,

Have you seen your optometrist lately? I was getting headaches everyday.I finally went in to have my eyes checked and they had changed drastically. The optometrist said your eyes change with pregnancy and up to a year after. If it is Migraines I'm sorry. They're not fun!

~Melissa